Sunday, May 23, 2010

kinda over movie love....

I just saw "Letters to Juliet". Don't worry. If you've seen the trailer, you probably don't need to see the movie yourself unless you feel like you need to see how they actually connect the dots to the inevitable outcome. I admit I kinda knew this going in but I was going with some good friends. It was a week day matinee and in a moment of need for some sort of sentimentality I thought "why not"? The thing is the movie had the exact opposite effect on me. About halfway through, I thought "I think I've grown tired of movie love.

It's all just a little too convenient. It's all just a little too filled with grand dramatic moments and super obvious endings. and beginnings. Girl meets Boy. Girl can't stand boy or boy can't stand girl or both ergo they will eventually fall for each other, after much witty sparring and battle of wits or something like that. However, there will be an obstacle. Another boy. Another girl. Disapproving parents or friends. Throw in a misunderstanding that could be cleared up with a simple question or two but isn't. So our heros must part until at the last moment one goes rushing to the other and all the stumbling blocks disappear and cue awesome song that perfectly captures the moment.

I think maybe I've spent too much time romanticizing this myself. Not that I don't appreciate romance or how love really is special, but I have to accept it probably doesn't come in beats or acts or inciting moments.

Best memory about this movie. The honest to goodness Italian man who struck up a conversation with us as we left the theatre. He wanted to know why they make the trailers so that you've already seen everything that will happen. Why indeed. Of course, if that moment had been in a movie, he probably would have become the new romantic lead in one of our lives. But no. Instead we laughed and agreed and went our separate ways.

Total side note: one thing I really would like to experience from this movie. The outdoor feast set in the beautiful countryside of Southern Italy. You know with everyone laughing and talking, drinking good wine, and the table filled with amazing food. I would like to know that moment, at least once in my life.

1 comment:

  1. The outdoor Italian feast -- this is why I will probably watch the movie, and why I can still watch Under the Tuscan Sun. I love the light, the wine, the gluten-filled food that would put my Celiac ass in a coma, the wine ...

    But I already agree with you about movie romantic love. I'm a sucker for it, but always leave somewhat disturbed.

    Thanks for linking to my blog. Not sure how you found me, but happy to have found yours!

    ReplyDelete